Friday 14 March 2014

Storytelling in 3-D

When installing work in the gallery my aim was to create a warm and welcoming space, to inspire curiosity in others, for me to have time to reflect on themes and narratives, e.g. the Self, icons, shrines, rituals, storytellers,and the RWA ideally fitted my residency within the RWA programme exploring identity, with a larger exhibition One Self is Another. The idea was to be open to explore the act of storytelling, and gather feedback. Think about what next...  
"You are very brave to stay in the space, with your work, I would find it daunting, what if people gave critical feedback?"
At a transition point in my practice, needing to develop artist-led practice, move forwards from my previous social engagement practice, where I was known for interventions, reportage photography and journaling workshops, experienced in delivering arts and health projects. Instead,I felt the need to nourish my own creativity and engage in the act of contemplative making. It was very new territory to see myself as a maker, but during the lead up to the show, and challenges of experiencing huge learning curves, I found the ritual of making altered pages, cloth figurines, inspired calm and mindful ritual.  This exhibition was my first solo show exhibiting my personal work, inspired by research in Italy into the Sibyls, women storytellers, but also unearthing my childhood memories and upbringing in the Catholic church. I pray Roger Watson from Fox Talbot Photographic Museum, National Trust, Lacock Abbey comes to visit, as I had previously been to visit him with the photograph series, and my dream was to consider book arts as the next stage of the project development, then, fingers crossed do a residency at Lacock.  I had written of the idea whilst Roger was in Paris, he wrote replying he had no idea what I was proposing, but the answer was yes. He comes to visit and talks about 1001 nights and layers of stories, of storytelling in 3-d.

"I don't know what it is about your work Jill, but it makes me want to tell my own stories...Your textile dolls are like saints in niches"...

No comments:

Post a Comment