Friday 14 March 2014

Think of the hours of conversations, said Julie

It was great meeting so many people from from all sorts of backgrounds.  The creative conversations were interesting and hard to document, it could be a book in itself. The day before there was the young sweaty bloke who looked like he might have ridden a bike arrived and stayed for two hours with his head in the I wished I had charged 50p a go, diorama, arranging, re-arranging the interiors and writing stories.  Later another visitor said she stayed at the Youth Hostel and met this guy who black curly hair who couldn't stop writing, he said he had been inspired to write stories about interiors.  

The interior of the visitor book became burstingfly full with drawings and comments, with visitors apparently feeling comfortable in the space:


"I liked the artist working at the table, playing in the space, it made the art gallery environment human and alive...high end, contemporary art, made accessible...I felt strangely comfortable, not my usual experience in a gallery...your work is unique, original, individual...its a bit spooky in here, but I am going to tweet it...could you come and give a talk, what about a workshop, I can see I need to loosen up, would you run a textile workshop, how about a talk on the radio...Fabulous! Can I buy your saint baby and have a hug?
"Thanks for letting me play 
with the shadow side of my personality ."

It was commented, in such a female rich environment, a lot of visitors enjoying the work happened to be men, staying in the space, sometimes for a long time.  There was Christopher sent by Chris, from Southampton with his wife Eleanor; Maris and I discovered on hands and knees puzzling over what to do with textile text panels.  We end up having a brilliant conversation about creative thinking and curating thoughts in 3-d, later Martyn from Minnesota took a photograph of me dressed up with a tartan blanket on my head holding the Chinese umbrella my sister Jen had given me, in front of the golden frame.  Later I was to see the pic on his professional website, where I feature amongst highlights of a trip to the UK.  So, an international response! 

Interesting conversations just seem to unfold.  All supported by having first class assistance.  Julie, who has come out to play with me over many years, as the Travelling Museum of Possibilities, was also in her element.  I would observe her arranging things quietly and having in depth conversations with different folk, like the little young bloke who carefully made a self portrait book and discussed his little pony and the lovely old lady about her dead loved one Tony who used to sit on her pencil, until she got fed up and put him back in his budgie cage. Then there was the lovely girl and her boyfriend who repeatedly said sorry and mentioned Doctor Who references.  All in a day.




No comments:

Post a Comment