Friday 14 March 2014

Diaroma

I documented my journey in Italy, performatively responding to different environs and using new technology, an iPhone 4S set in panoramic mode.  The series caused me much thought about how to present to allow the viewer to experience the feeling of the panorama. A design for a purpose made acrylic viewing holders, which, together with a large scale print, allowed me to create storytelling environs, to which other collections could be added, journals, bundles, books, dolls.I wanted to invite human scale interaction. I wrestled for hours at home over a shirt box to design a diorama, and that people could create their own story scenes, inspired by a collection of found objects, and then document with their own mobile phone photograph through the front opening aperture. Each day, looking inside to see the trace of people's response to the museum of possibilities, was a treat. Julie had resourced the collection with sensitivity, humour and great perception.  Each tiny world was like looking inside individual's personality. All this process was made possible through funding, but I was discovering having public money to support one's practice was very exciting and the have-I-got -the-receipt-for-that-small-plastic giraffe, a rather interesting, but worrying process, all in the same breath!

I loved the tiniest artist arriving in her stripy leggings with her Mum and friend saying she was 4.1/2, was an illustrator who wanted to be an artist and she loved my gallaree.  She played in the diorama, making an interesting picnic scene, choosing the backdrop of myself in the panoramic photo portrayed in front of the Wee Casa in Italy.  She carefully adds things to the scene and then drew a picture and posed in front of the golden frame for a photo. What was in your diorama scene, a fairy having a picnic, what is she eating, was asked, dead animals, was the reply.
Storytelling shoes, budgie, leg and watch face.


No comments:

Post a Comment