Friday 14 March 2014

Just keep making

Without a formal studio, access to time in a creative environment with like minded professionals was fabulous. The experience and time working at the RWA helped endorse my identity as an artist,the role of artist as collector, curator and chronicler, with a strong performative element central to this process. It helped me own my work.  It was so rewarding to experience comments and rather shyly I had to response to people who asked to be given first offer on new work, a process, which is relatively new to me, as previously as a participatory arts practitioner, I had generated income through direct project commissions. 
"I am amazed at the breadth of your creativity, the work you have done in one year. Fabulous...just keep making." 
The possibilities of formal/informal curation and quality of presentation methods was made possible funding from Grants for the Arts. It was a delight to commission a Bristol framer, James Ferguson, who so mindfully created box frames and museum box to show off the textile figurines, cloth book and frame calligraphic drawings and altered pages. The surprising element for me was such positive response to my textile works.

Dreaming & Stitching
"I would love to buy your textile book,she said,but in a way I think it should be in a public space for many people to enjoy and experience its healing nature, I could imagine your work in a permanent museum collection, do you have an agent?"

No comments:

Post a Comment