Friday 14 March 2014

A passion for journaling

It is essential part of my practice, responding to people, place and events. It was great having the museum cabinets at the RWA to respond to, install collections of this and that, and allow the public to interact with certain objects and shares stories. I just love museum culture, making temporary collections of small toys, found objects and curiosities. Visiting friend Sue, fellow artist and lover of found things small, quirky and collectable sent me a tin of rusty dolls house cutlery with the question, too weird or what as a Christmas present. We share a passion for journaling, inspired by journeys to India and Japan. She kindly came, brought calm and order to all my little books, drawings and not-a-books for sale, making sense and a clear invitation of what and how to riffle through little boxes of collections, which people seemed to love and bought quite happily, whilst I worried intensely about how to price a one arm peg doll,and would I have time to stitch the gift cards individually.








During the residency strands of visitors with different personalities, dress, interests, backgrounds and professions, became inspiration for discussion.  A group of textile artist friends visited and muttered about needing to loosen up, and one told me about my work reminding her of Japan. 

I love your bundles & journals

No comments:

Post a Comment