Monday 17 March 2014

"Where are we going"...Sound Installation


Over the three week research trip to Italy I decided to keep an audio diary on my iPhone 4s.  I wanted to explore the space between sounds, conversations and silence.  Each morning on waking I would enter the day through observing my thoughts, how I felt and the sounds surrounding the space.  I would observe and record my thoughts,  document plans for the day, and out and about record ambient sounds and distinctive points in the journey.  The women talking in the town square at Tressimino, the entering of a church or chapel, the murmurings of my travel companion and the Italian friend Cristina who we met in a very rural setting high in Le Marche Region.  The shopkeeper in the fabric shop and the beautiful lady in the hardware shop where I bought a hearth brush to make into a travel doll.  Each night I would again document my observations, of work made along the way, discoveries, impressions and how I was feeling as part of the travel log.

On return I collaborated with Gurchetan Singh, a Swindon based filmmaker, who I worked with previously on commissions projects, Portrait of Swindon, and also House of Absences (Travellers without Baggage).  We were both interested in sacred spaces, rituals, offerings and meditative practice, and enjoyed exploring the way that sound can bring a story together.  I edited down the three week archive and Gurch 'weaved' the soundscape.  I put together with images of environs in Italy and exhibited at the RWA exhibition, to stimulate curiosity and highlight a sense of calm journeying.

No comments:

Post a Comment