Tuesday 1 April 2014

Time in Nature

I am looking to explore drawing from elements of time in nature.  I need to re-connect with my body.  I am in a right FUG after a very successful show at RWA Bristol, a time of expansion, interaction, generosity of exchange, then you come back home, again, re-fold everything into oneself, and there is a rather full interior, full of people's (positive) viewpoints. Then you find yourself all on your own, again with your own (negative) thoughts. Then you consider, what was that all about? Fabulous, yes, but the next stage of taking things forward is eeeeeky, uncertain stage.  I usually creative out of focussed direct response, playful madness, intuition, fun and direct engagement. Now I have an inside audience pinned to my thoughts.  Double eek.  I have got to take them to the river and wash away. Decided instead to unearth a box of old once upon a time given to me dollies.  Enjoy giving not-much-to-laugh-about-doll, a change of identity, inspired by a memory of a now lost photograph of me at Holy Communion wearing a crooked veil and looking scared.  I send a pic to Julie, after she mentioned about the work of artist Tabitha Kyoko Moses who took x-rays of dolls.  I enquire if there was room for straight face girl, a place of work, whether her Health Service colleague could X-Ray, could make an interesting series for a book I thought.

"Always room for Bride of C", she said.
Then I thought,what about keeping your own books in order; your Arts Council accounts, plans, venues, bookings, sales, organisational worry….Decided to brave up and actually look through my Arts Council bid to see what I said I would do, which makes me hyperventilate to read, and there it is Bristol Embroiders Guild, Swindon Library & Festival of Literature, Richard Jefferies Museum, Fox Talbot/Lacock stuff.  OMG, there it is, I had suggested too an idea to explore a journey to Coleshill.  Indeed, I had so enjoyed a time in Coleshill NT village many years ago, where I installed myself in their tiny cafe, the table brimmingly full of stuff, the interesting conversations with visitors, walks here and there, children's storytelling workshop with Hilds, and meeting Alex, who said I should create a circle on a map and go round talking to people about my work.  Looked up her lovely work, working in nature, prints, books, bundles, origami/organic forms.  Going to book on one of her workshops Bundles & Books.  Wondered if there would be an opportunity to visit Coleshill, share practice, thoughts, uncertainties, perhaps explore make connections, muse and mutter process over a cup of tea?  

A dream of a warm place in nature, in which to wrap, rest and write....

This visiting business to find environs in which to place oneself is an interesting process.  I had been to Lacock House to research as a future potential venue for Curious Narratives. I subsequently went back again at the weekend for a look around with Julie.  We loved the the now no longer opened village shop, once owned by Peggy Butler, her window still forever full of Carter's remedies for health.  We enjoyed the trail through the gardens, photographic museum and abbey, then wishing we had found time for a cup of tea, had our ticket clipped and went wandered from cloisters into Fox Talbot's house.  We peered into a posh cabinet and saw a tiny doll with knitted dress, on a crocheted blanket with a hot water bottle that she could never reach.  Aaaagh, she needs a makeover and some warmth. Previously, at the business meeting with Rachael, visitor experience manager at Lacock Abbey, there was her observation that my own house would be full of collections "I bet your house is a complete treasure trove" she had said.  So, now, deciding to let go of planning, walk away from the desk and off to discover a dolly open to a new look, make a cleansing bathing pool with Sophie's cup, add some herbs, give her a transformation, and make her a new home, a travelling emporium for her. A space in nature for her to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment